Well.. They’re doing something right. I’m not sure how I feel about Posada as a DH but I’m sure it’s a good move nonetheless.
An off day already? I always hate how MLB insists to follow up Opening Day – and the long spring training lead up to it – with an anticlimatic day off. I’m dieing for another injection of baseball right now. However, I thought it would be interesting to take this time off and see how the Yankee 25-man roster was constructed. Here, in chronological order, are the 2011 New York Yankees ordered by the date when the Yankees originally acquired them.
- February, 1990 – The Yankees sign Mariano Rivera as an international free agent out of Panama.
- June, 1990 – Jorge Posada is drafted in the 24th round of the 1990 amateur draft.
- June, 1992 – Derek Jeter is drafted in the 1st round (6th Overall) of the 1992 amateur draft.
- January, 2001 – The Yankees sign Robinson Cano as an international free agent out of the Dominican Republic.
- July, 2003 – The Yankees sign Francisco Cervelli as an international free agent out of Venezuela.
- February, 2004 – The Yankees trade Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named later (Joaquin Arias) to the Texas Rangers for Alex Rodriguez.
- June, 2004 – The Yankees select Phil Hughes in the 1st round (24th Overall pick, awarded as compensation for losing Andy Pettitte) of the 2004 amateur draft.
- July, 2004 – The Yankees sign Eduardo Nunez and Ivan Nova as international free agents out of the Dominican Republic.
- June, 2005 – The Yankees draft Brett Gardner in the 3rd round of the 2005 amateur draft.
- June, 2006 – The Yankees draft Joba Chamberlain in the 1st supplemental round (41st overall pick, awarded as compensation for losing Tom Gordon) of the 2006 amateur draft.
- June, 2006 – The Yankees draft David Robertson in the 17th round of the 2006 amateur draft.
- November, 2008 - The Yankees trade Wilson Betemit, Jeff Marquez, and Jhonny Nunez to the Chicago White Sox for Nick Swisher.
- December, 2008 - The Yankees sign CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Mark Teixeira to major league deals as free agents.
- December, 2009 - The Yankees trade Ian Kennedy to the Arizona Diamondbacks and Phil Coke and Austin Jackson to the Detroit Tigers for Curtis Granderson.
- December, 2009 – The Yankees trade Arodys Vizcaino, Michael Dunn, and Melky Cabrera to the Braves for Javier Vazquez and Boone Logan.
- December, 2010 – The Yankees sign Russell Martin to a major league deal as a free agent.
- December, 2010 – The Yankees sign Gustavo Molina to a minor league deal and with an invitation to spring training.
- January, 2011 – The Yankees sign Andruw Jones, Rafael Soriano and Pedro Felicianoto major league deals as free agents.
- January, 2011 – The Yankees sign Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia to minor league deals and invite them to spring training.
- February, 2011 – The Yankees sign Luis Ayala and Eric Chavez to minor league deals and invite them to spring training.
6 players were acquired at the draft, 5 were international free agents, 7 were MLB free agents, 4 were traded to the Yankees, and 5 were signed on minor league deals this off season.
I always find things like this fascinating to look at. Who else didn’t realize that Alex Rodriguez has been on the team longer than anyone else but Jorge, Mo, and Jeter?